Pages

Friday, September 18, 2015

Pop Up Art Challenge #22



Pop-Up time!!!  Betty here this week, bringing you another little art challenge to keep you stimulated and using your art supplies in new and creative ways!  We never want you to run out of mojo or ideas, and having a pop-up challenge keeps you involved with your journal AND your art supplies.  We all have those supplies that we just HAD to have, and often they just sit there, looking all pretty and tantalizing, but they aren't getting used.  I definitely have this problem with some of my supplies, reaching always for the tried and true, go-to supplies.  I don't challenge myself as much as I should, and want to.  So this week, put on your thinking cap!


CHALLENGE:  Use washi or decorative tape prominently in a creative spread in your journal. 


Washi and decorative tape have a myriad of uses.  If you've ever spent any time at all on Pinterest, you know it can be used for many, many things...  Mosaics, covering everything from clothespins to tin cans, as labels, as creative art.  So that's where we are today:  making creative art.


For my spread, I used a background page created in my Canson mixed media journal with some new acrylic paints I picked up at Target a couple weeks ago, making different paint combinations with the same 4 pots of colors. This time I used the Azalea Pink and Lime.  It is really bright!



The background was applied with a credit card, with several different layers of each color.  The finish is satin smooth, and I love, love how it feels.  I began by layering 5-6 rows of different patterns of washi tape onto some stiff card stock.  I then individually cut out the pieces, and affixed with Alene's Tacky Glue (it was handy).  After it was fully dry, each pinwheel flower was outlined with black china marker and smudged. I wanted to give that "blowing in the wind" effect with the lettering, so I used the china marker again and smudged it all.  I rather like how it turned out, but I did have to go over some of the letters several times because the background is so slick-smooth, I would rub off the marker.  I added some additional embellishment to the center of the flowers and the leaves with a bold Signo Uniball pen.   Anyway, this is what I came up with......and that song is still stuck in my head!  It was fun playing with my big hoard of washi tape and deciding which ones to use.



MELODY made this beautiful spread in her usual bright style, but straying from her usual bright pinks.  She still managed to get that favorite turquoise on the page, and brightened it all up some more with some lovely washi embellishments.  Using some plain white cardstock, she drew hearts on one side of the page, then laid out her washi tape on the opposite side, making it super easy to cut those hearts out.   Don't you just love the shadowed stenciling?  Remember that Melody actually "journals" in her journal, so she always leaves plenty of room for her writing.  Another fabulous and beautiful spread, Mel!









And here's a couple of close up views of those lovely corner hearts!











What kind of fun can you create?  Think outside the box, think inside the box, use that washi and decorative tape and wow us!

As always, we're keeping it artful!

ARTFUL CHICKS
~~Betty, Melody, Lynn & Shana









































No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear shortly. Thank you!