Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Artful Tactics with Shana - Painting a face using Dylusions paints

Sooooo.... I did the art journal prompt #17 yesterday using the Dylusions paint and the main question I received was how I created the smooth skin and shadows of the whimsy girl face in my spread, so I decided to do a video of just a basic face to show how to create the facial contours using a very basic pallet.

Creating a smooth face with shadows is all about blending so using the Dylusions paints already makes the process easier since they are made to blend. Normally when I do a face I either work quickly so the paint is still blend-able or I mix my mediums so I can blend in the highlights and shadows over top of the paint. Additive can be used if you only want to use acrylic paint like slow-dry mediums or using many wet layers of paint.

I love that I can just use the Dylusions paints without having to hurry or work so hard at blending, I used mainly my fingers to create the blends. In the blog I will show you the step by steps of creating the skin, I will also put the video of the full process below!




The 1st step is to create the outline, these are also the darkest shadows in the face.





I used the the Melted Chocolate to make this outline, Melted Chocolate would be the 1st step in any natural color skin tone.








The second step is to clean the brush and remove the excess water, you still want the brush to be damp.


Using the clean damp brush blend or smooth out the lines, don't worry about it being neat! details come later!














Now its time for the magic to happen, grab your White Linen paint.



Load your brush up and smoosh the paint all over the face, again, it doesn't need to be beautiful at this point!














Here is where we get our hands dirty!



Use your fingers to blend the colors together, I suppose a tool could be used but I have never used one, I just love having painty hands!

if at any time you have trouble blending dampen your finger with water, you do not want dripping water, if you can wet a sponge to use to dampen your finger.
















 Apply two dots, these are actually a bit to much, of Postbox Red to the cheeks




















and use your finger to blend, the picture on the right is after blending the red in, Note the lack of perfection!

We now need to add another layer of White Linen to tone down the cheeks a bit! again we are blending with out fingers! also at this point if you feel (as I did) the nose is to short or needs additional highlight add a bit more white at the tip and blend up into the forehead.

The last step is to go back to your original base color, in this case the Chocolate Brown, add more shadows and blend if needed.

You can finally pick your brush back up, add your darkest shadowed features, top lip, bottom lip shadow, bottom of nose and the top lash line of the eyes.


You now have a wonderful blank face to add features to! If you watch the video below you can see how I completed the simple faced girl!

Hope you try it! Have fun!!

-Big Hugs and Mushy Stuff
-Shana




1 comment:

  1. A most excellent tutorial and video, Shana. You're the bomb!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear shortly. Thank you!