Pages

Friday, February 6, 2015

14 Days of Love - Day #6

Day 6 is here!  Tick-tock, the time is flying by already.  Today's prompt should prove to be challenging and fun and easily worked into your journal.



Our prompt for today:  USE HEARTS AS BORDERS


You can use doodle hearts, stamped hearts, punch cuts, tissue paper hearts, any 'ole hearts that you can think of to make your page both pleasing and creative.


Take a look at our interpretations of this prompt and hopefully you will find some inspiration or perhaps a new path to go down to represent this prompt.


* * * * * * * * * * * * 

MELODY ELZY -  This was done on a background in my large Dylusions journal. Just some medium magenta acrylic by Liquitex , a makeup sponge and some punchinella. Since I'm planning on using this spread for actual journaling and not art, I wanted to keep my border simple. I flipped the punchinella over when I was done with a section and rubbed over it with the heel of my hand to get the paint off that side as well.






















* * * * * * * * * * * *

LYNN JACKSON - Day 5...This page is in my Canson art journal. Bought a new tube of paint called Craft-Smart Premium Satin in the color of pacific coast and boy that paint was a joy to work with. It went on really well. On the border I used a handmade heart stencil and put the hearts all the way around the page. Cut out some hearts and put 3 on the page. I spread some of the Pacific Coast paint over some of the hearts. I think it gives it a dreamy quality; at least softer!  This was a fun prompt. I hope you ladies give it a try.






* * * * * * * * * * * * 


TAMIE RODRIGUEZ WILSON - Today I am using a 4x6" lined Index card. We don't always have to make things in our journal right away, and I can tip this in later or even next year!  I used my new stencil of the Skull (that everyone knows I love!) with just waterered down black acrylic paint. Used some stickers of hearts and black pen, them I took a purple Papermate Ink Joy pen and went around the black dots. Used a white and pink paint marker to add some dots. The flags are from a new stencil as well. I just wrote some lovey words with a white pen, then used some brads to apply my ribbon.



* * * * * * * * * * * *

BETTY RICHARDSON - I did a few different things in response to this prompt.  The first was a little spread in my Graphique pocket journal that I use quite frequently for documentation, experimentation, quickie doodles, sketches and the like.  I wanted to see how many different kinds of heart borders I could come up with to use on future work.  I used a .05 Micron pen and Sakura Glaze pens and Prismacolor pencils.







As you can see, I came up with several different variations in using hearts as borders.  











This page is in my large Dylusions journal.  I received some awesome steampunk-y stamped images in happy mail from the talented Delores Miller and knew that I wanted to use them along with some fabulous sheet music from our own Lynn Jackson that came with my birthday present in September. Music and Valentine's Day goes together, right?  I rarely, if ever, lean towards steampunk, although I do love it, but I don't have any stamps and bits of my own--other than what others have generously shared with me.  So I tried to create the feeling of an "antique" page by first tearing all around the edges of two pages of sheet music. Applied to the journal with fluid matte medium, and smoothed out with my palette knife so there wouldn't be any bubbles or wrinkles.

So then, in comes some lovely tissue paper with big, bold hearts.  I cut that into strips and applied all around the edges with fluid matte medium.  Blast with the heat gun.

I applied a thin layer of gesso with the edge of a gift card, then used 3 shades of Apple Barrel craft acrylic in Khaki, Cinnamon Brown and Taupe along with DecoArts Honey Brown and began dabbing all around and all over the page, covering the hearts here and there as I went along to give them some "age".  They were pretty bright red, and after I applied them, I decided it was too bright. So I dulled them up!  I smoothed some areas with the sponge and others I left "dappled".  I thought it was looking pretty good.

I fussy cut out the designs I wanted to use and while my sponge was still damp with paint, I smudge painted them as well.  I then used a Micron .02, Sakura pen in black, and a fine line Sharpie to add back in some of the image details.  They were glued to the page with good 'ole Elmers Glue.




I applied some black and white washi tape, and highlighted parts with my Signo Uniball pen. I felt the washi was too bold so I "schmeared" some taupe paint over it with my finger and smoothed with the cosmetic sponge.  Much better.


While I was making this page, my mind wandered far, far away to a time long ago to one of the first loves of my life.  My heart felt full, and I smiled.  Sadly, this person has passed on, so it is just a sweet memory.



So, with that sweet memory, I created the saying "A fleeting thought of a long lost love can still make the heart smile."  Hand lettered with a Micron .08 black pen.

"A fleeting thought of a long lost love can still make the heart smile"


And here is the whole, finished two page spread.  I hope you like it as much as I do, and enjoy making your page with heart borders"  as much as I did.  Thanks for stopping by! ~~ Betty


* * * * * * * * * * * *

We're keepin' it artful!

Betty, Melody, Tamie & Lynn
ARTFUL CHICKS






2 comments:

Your comment will appear shortly. Thank you!